Leading Your Child to Success (LYCTS) is an engaging online course for everyone regularly involved in the life of a child. The principles and practices we establish are applicable whether you have very young children, teenagers, or grown children with kids of their own.
- Parents (expecting or those already with children any age, from infants to adults)
- Grandparents, aunts, and uncles
- Teachers, counselors, or anyone in the service of children
How the Course Works:
- Each module consists of a presentation of new material by Birth2Work co-founders, Elane V. Scott and Rick Stephens. Most presentations are about 10 minutes long.
- We then ask you to take a break and complete the associated module exercise at your own pace. Some exercises are quick lists, others ask you to involve your family in a new behavior.
- After completing the exercise, be it five minutes or one week later, you’ll return to the module to watch a discussion video. You’ll get to see how the course attendees, (more on them later) have interpreted the material and plan to implement the topic at home. Some action steps look quite different between individuals, families with toddlers, and grandparents looking to be more involved with their adult children.
How the Course Feels:
In coordination with your student handbook,the entire LYCTS course is shared through video presentations. Below are short clips from our module, Emotional and Spiritual Health. Watch the presentation clip first, then follow up with the discussion clip to see how the participants engage.
1. Clip from module presentation
2. Clip from module discussion
Some of What You’ll Learn:
- The difference between managing vs. leading and why the distinction matters for the ultimate well-being of your children;
- What the elements of successful children are and how they transform into successful adults;
- How to identify and transfer your family values around physical, financial, and emotional/spiritual behaviors using
The 3 Es: Environment, Experience, and Engagement;
- How to use the one of a kind Birth2Work Readiness Profile, a detailed timeline of your child’s development in five key areas: physical, cognitive, emotional development, social skills, and life skills;
- How to communicate effectively with your partner and your children to build trust and accountability;
- How to engage with your community in a meaningful way to give your children an understanding of their environment and their value in society;
- Why grandparents are critical to the healthy development of families and society as a whole;
- How Birth2Work can provide you with long-term support for the sustained success of your family.
“I learned that I was actually modeling the media behavior that I most wanted my children to stop. It didn’t matter that my children were older. I learned so much that I will use forever…You never stop being a parent.”
“The best part of the class was the Readiness Profile because it helped me make a plan for what to do with my twin sons, just like I plan for my business.”
“I took the course with my son because I felt that if I was learning how to use new techniques to engage better with our family, he should be on board to understand why things might be changing.”
Course Modules – The Details:
The individual topics covered throughout the course may surprise you! Broadly, modules are organized into three topics. Explore the drop down menus below:
Ensuring Parents and Family Alignment
- Managing vs. Leading
- How Your Role Changes Over Time
- The Importance of Family Values
- Your Purpose and Goals
- Family Practices and Policies
- Family Meetings
- Challenging Discussions
- Committing to a Leadership Plan
- The Growth Path from Birth to Work
- Windows of Opportunity
- Readiness Profile Examples
- Impact of Media
- Transferring Family Values and Culture
- How We Learn
- Learn by Doing
- How Living Space Impacts Learning
- Family Activities
Promoting Healthy Behaviors
- Ensuring Financial Success
- Healthy Bodies
- Emotional and Spiritual Health
Finding and Engaging the Right Support Team
- Building Your Values-Based Support Team
Interacting and Engaging with the Community
- Enabling the Future
- The Role of Parents in Education
- What You Want Your Kids to Learn at Their First Job
- Your Role in Shaping Expectations
- The Importance of Community
- Becoming a Mountain Guide
- Reviewing Your Plan
Remember, you’ll have lifetime access to the course. Take each step at your own pace and come back for more when you’re ready.
The Student Handbook: All for you!
In addition to the video course, you’ll receive our brand new beautifully designed student handbook that contains over 150 pages of exercises and extended material. At the completion of the course, your handbook will contain your personalized plan for leading your family to success!
With your handbook you can:
- Follow the video presentations with detailed information and the ability to add your own notes as you learn
- Review topics and exercises whenever is most convenient to you
- Easily share your new understanding of family leadership and your personalized plan for success with important friends, colleagues, and family members
“This class really helped me focus on solutions, not just problems.”
“We have become more in tune with what our children are doing on a constant basis, school, friends, listening more to them, their concerns, and coming up with viable solutions together.”
“I didn’t understand why my grandchildren did not want to be around me until I learned I was the reason. When I learned how to be with them [as a result of this course], they wanted to be with me.”
- Keitha, an elementary teacher with a middle school aged son
- Paul, a Technology Entrepreneur with a middle school aged son
- Shakeita, a young professional without children
- David, a retired marketing executive tuned author, with two adult children
- Jessica, a mother of two young sons
- Herman, a military veteran, business owner, and grandfather
- Bryan, a teacher and new father of an infant and a school age step-daughter
- Somer, a designer and mother of a young toddler
- You’re learning from the pioneers of Parent Leadership and actual parents. Elane has been an educator for more than 35 years with experience working in classrooms directly, individual schools, school districts, community organizations, and international corporations. Rick is a retired senior vice-president from one of the largest corporations in the world. His direct experience with human resources leadership in the business environment is fundamental to understanding the difference between basic management skills and transformational leadership abilities. Together they have spent more than 20 years teaching communities and parents how to bring those leadership skills from the workplace to their home life in a loving and supportive way. Both Elane and Rick are happy grandparents of 11!
- There is no beginning date or expiration date for your course. Begin and end each module and the entire course whenever is most convenient to you! You may also repeat any module as often you need.
- The course can be taken individually but is greatly enhanced by parents taking the course together.
- There are no quizzes or tests. Your own reflection and effort are the most important takeaways. Your student handbook will contain all of your exercises and notes, culminating in your personalized plan for success!